Post Treatment Instructions
Post Treatment Instructions Following Non-Surgical Endodontic Treatment:
- Avoid eating or drinking hot foods or beverages until numbness has entirely dissipated.
- Do not intake alcohol or other recreational drugs while you are taking pain medication for treatment of your tooth.
- The tooth may be tender for several days as a result of the manipulation during treatment. Unless specified by the doctor, begin taking Ibuprofen, Advil, or Motrin (3 tablets of 200 mg. Or 600 mg every 6 hours for the first two days following treatment. Tylenol (2 tablets of 500 mg every 6 hours) can be used as an alternative or in addition to Ibuprofen, Advil or Motrin for three consecutive days whether or not you are experiencing discomfort. Should you experience discomfort that cannot be controlled with the above medications, or should swelling develop, please contact our office immediately.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water (one-half teaspoon of table salt to one glass warm water). Repeat several times each day until tenderness is gone
- Avoid chewing on the treated tooth until all tenderness has disappeared;
- Should pain become severe or should swelling develop or any other condition that causes you concern, please contact our office at any time, including after office hours
- Brush your teeth as usual
- Although the root or roots of your tooth are permanently sealed, the outer surface of your tooth is sealed with a temporary restoration. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR DENTIST PROMPTLY FOR AN APPOINTMENT. YOUR DENTIST MUST PLACE A PERMANENT RESTORATION TO PROTECT YOUR TOOTH AGAINST FRACTURE AND DECAY. DELAY IN OBTAINING THIS PERMANENT RESTORATION MAY PLACE YOUR TOOTH IN JEOPARDY.
After Completion of Endodontic Treatment:
Once endodontic treatment is completed, the root canal system is permanently sealed. However, the outer surface is sealed with a temporary restoration. A follow-up restoration must be placed to protect your tooth against fracture and decay. Please telephone your restorative General Dentist for an appointment. A complete report of treatment will be sent to your restorative dentist.
Follow Up Appointments:
Following the initial endodontic treatment, some cases require that you return to our practice for a follow-up appointment to evaluate the progress of healing. This appointment will require only a few minutes and no additional fee will be charged for the first check-up visit. An appointment will be scheduled once your treatment is completed.